Thursday, April 26, 2012

Where have all the days gone?

 

Ally turned 7 months last week. It feels like in a blink of an eye, she transformed from a helpless little baby into a squealing, giggling, drooling toddler.  Yes, at only 7 months, my baby looks like she can go to preschool any day now. Haha.

I remember a poem that used to hang in my room as a little girl. I don't know who wrote it, but I loved it then, and I love it even more now. I can't believe I still know the words.

My daughter grows up

My hands were busy through the day
I didn't have much time
to teach my little girl
What to me was work to her was play

And when you'd come with your baby dolls
and ask me to rock her back and forth
I'd say
"Not tonight, I'm busy dear"

I'd tuck you in all safe at night
Kiss your cheek and hug you tight
Tiptoeing softly to the door
I'd glance at you again once more

God's little angel, my own delight
I wish I'd stayed a minute more
For life is short, the years rush past
A little girl grows up too fast

No longer is she at your side
Her precious secrets to confide

The baby dolls are gone today
I now remember all those times
you'd ask to help with little chores
"Can I put daddy's clothes away?"

No goodnight kiss, no prayers to hear
That belongs to yesteryear

My hands once busy, now are still
The days are long, and hard to fill
I wish I could go back and share
The little things that say, "I care"

Every time I whine about no longer having the time to do a bit of crafting, I should remember this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your sweet thoughts are always welcome!